Wednesday 6 February 2013

Two and Three Part Verb that Usually Shown in TOEFL Test for Listening


No.
Verb
Meaning
Example
1.
Break into
Unlawfully enter
Someone tried to break into my house.
2.
Break off
End
They’ve decided to break off their relationship
3.
Brush up
Review, Relearn
I have to brush up on the rules before start it
4.
Brush it off
Not let it have an effect
He read the untrue stories about himself but he tried to brush it off.
5.
Call on
Visit
I’ll call on the new neighbors this afternoon.
6.
Call off
Cancel
The teacher had to call off the class on Friday.
7.
Call for
Request, Suggest
The politician should call for a decrease in taxes.
8.
Call up
Telephone
Can you call me up at nine?
9.
Carry off
Succeed
I’m really going to carry it off.
10.
Carry on
Continue
She tried hard to carry on with her life.
11.
Cut down
Decrease it
He needs to cut down smoking.
12.
Cut off
Stop the supply of
The electricity should be cut off.
13.
Cut it out
Stop it
He kept teasing me so I told him to cut it out.
14.
Come across
Unexpectedly find
We were lucky to come across the waterfall.
15.
Come down with
Get sick with
She thinks she is about to come down with the flu.
16.
Get ahead
Advance
He really wants to get ahead in his career.
17.
Get along with
Be friendly
She is easily able to get along with everyone.
18.
Get at
Imply
I didn’t understand what you are trying to get at
19.
Get back at
Get revenge against
She wants to do something to get back at him.
20.
Get by
Manage
We have enough money to get by for a month
21.
Get over
Recover from
She was sick but now she has started to get over it
22.
Get rid of
Throw away
I need to get rid some of the clothes.
23.
Give it away
Donate
I don’t need this bicycle anymore, I’ll give it away.
24.
Give back
Return
I think I should give this books back
25.
Give up
Surrunder
I’ve done all I can. I give up.
26.
Hold off
Postpone
I’m going to hold off taking my vocation.
27.
Keep up
Continue
He likes my job and wants me to keep it up.
28.
Lay off
Fire
The company is going to lay off the employee.
29.
Look after
Take care of
Could you look after my cats while I’m out?
30.
Look into
Investigate
The police decided to look into it further.
31.
Look it over
Look at it briefly
Could you take a few minutes to look it over?
32.
Pick on
Bother
He always used to pick on his younger sister.
33.
Pick out
Choose
You’ll have to pick out just one dress.
34.
Pick up
Come and get
Could you pick me up after school today?
35.
Play up
Increase the significant of
The newspapers tend to play up sensational stories if they want to improve the reader.
36.
Pull it off
Succeed
He work hard to pull it off
37.
Put off
Delay
The teacher has to put off the exam.
38.
Put on
Dress in
She put on her coat before going out.
39.
Put up
Tolerate
It’s difficult to put up with him.
40.
Run into
Unexpectedly meet
I was surprised to run into my old friend.
41.
Run out off
Completely use the supply of
If I didn’t buy milk at the store, we would run out off at breakfast.
42.
Show off
Try to attract attention
She tends to show off a lot.
43.
Show up
Arrive
He was supposed to come but didn’t show up.
44.
Take places
Happen
When the wedding will take place?
45.
Take turns
Alternate
We like do the dishes, so we take turns.
46.
Take up
Begin (a hobby)
Golf is a sport that I would like to take up.
47.
Turn down
Refuse
She turned down his application.
48.
Turn in
Submit
The students must turn in their paper tomorrow.
49.
Turn into fish
Become
I swim a lot, I feel that I’m going to turn into a fish.
50.
Wear out
Tire
I know he is going to wear out soon.




Related topic: Idioms that Usually Shown in TOEFL Test

2 comments: